Monday, July 17, 2017

Assignment 9 - Vintage Futurism - Vintage Social Media Ad

After taking a break from INTE 5340 this weekend, I feel creatively refreshed and thought I'd ride the creativity wave and complete another assignment from the assignment bank. I thought I'd work on a graphic for this assignment. I've been really enjoying using Canva, so I settled on creating a vintage social media ad. This is inspired by this blog post by Joanna Behar featuring work by a Brazilian ad agency called Moma Propaganda. I looked through tons of vintage ads on Flickr.


I finally came across this one and thought that this could be remixed as a fun dating service app.

CC BY-NC-SA 2.0. Isabel Santos Pilot. Flickr.
Then I decided to remix this as a Tinder ad. Tinder is a smartphone app used to make potential matches with others. It is known for giving the user the ability to "swipe" on someone's picture to either "like" that person or skip over him/her.


This was fun to make, and using Canva has gotten pretty intuitive over time. Doing a remix project like this one could be fun for students. They could probably remix vintage artwork or vintage advertisements to reflect a phenomenon or product related to chemistry. Knowing my students, they probably already have apps on their phones that they like using to modify or remix pictures. But I think Canva is straightforward to use, and my students can pick up how to use it rather quickly if given the time and space to tinker with it. I like that projects like this one would allow my students to be creative and think outside the box. And it would give students another way to express their learning in a way that is a different from a traditional quizzes or tests. 

Here is the final product.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 8 of INTE5340: Learning With Digital Stories - Final Reflection

So, here we are. Week 8. The final week of INTE 5340. And what a fun ride this has been. Even in my final days in this course, I have bee...