Sunday, June 11, 2017

Week 1 of INTE5340: Learning With Digital Stories

Here we are at the end of week 1. This is a course that has already introduced me to new technology and ways to use them in learning. We started the week with getting set up on the various platforms we will be using throughout the 8 weeks of this course.  The first thing I met with initial dread was having to finally cave and open my own Twitter account.


It's not that I'm anti-social media or anything like that. It just feels like there's so much activity going on at once on Twitter that I don't know where to focus. It is overwhelming at first (and still is for me after week 1). But once over my initial skepticism and having a starting point of the Daily Create to channel my attention towards, I took the plunge and tried out my first challenge, posting a Sgt Hulka selfie. It felt silly, but I think that starting these Daily Create challenges helps build community among fellow digital classmates through regular exposure and interaction. It also starts the practice and habit of just making something every day. Or at least thinking about making something every day. Finally, getting started on the Daily Creates helped me get more familiar using my smartphone as more than just a rectangle that receives and sends text messages, emails, and pictures.

My first Daily Create got me used to the selfie camera on my phone, and I got to practice posting on Twitter, tagging the appropriate people and using the appropriate tags. Afterwards, I dug into the syllabus and got my first exposure to using Hypothes.is. My initial impression was a very good one. I liked how integrated everything was. Being able to annotate, comment and reply to others' comments was all intuitive, and it makes having an online class discussion easy to have and easy to follow, since all the comments and highlights are directly on the document being discussed. This week we used Hypothes.is to go over the syllabus together, go over the Week 1 module's introduction, videos and Soundcloud announcements. And then we got our first article to discuss.

As I continued to work on the course content on Canvas and started to check off things from my "to-do" list for this course, I started using Twitter a bit more to get acquainted with it and tried my hand at a couple more Daily Create challenges. The next challenge was to create a "Ridiculous Latte." Here, we were to put a latte in an unexpected place. As someone who likes to take pictures but rarely edits or modifies them (except for maybe the use of a hipster filter on Instagram), I had to think about how I could get a picture of a latte into a different container. I decided to try to do this on my smartphone since it seems like my students are always making funny pictures using their phones. I took a virtual trip to the Google Play store on my Android device and found a free cut and paste app aptly named Cut Paste Photos. The app name seemed to fit my needs, so I started there. I took a photo of a grumpy cat latte online, cut the latte part out and pasted it onto a photo of a bird's nest (also taken from online).  There was some trial and error in making this, but it was a good experience overall of trying something new.


 

Third challenge was to use Talk Obama to Me to have Obama say something about the Daily Create. I tried it out, used an Orson Welles quote, and posted it on Twitter. 


I have to say that I wasn't very pleased with the result. I don't think that it was necessarily a bad challenge. If anything, it got me to try yet another new way to make something. What I didn't like is that the final video wouldn't embed into my Twitter feed. And it looked like 80% of people who did this challenge had the same issue, as the majority of my feed that day looked like what I posted above. Admittedly, I didn't really spend much time looking at other people's work on that Daily Create because almost all of them required to click on the link to be brought to the Talk Obama to Me site. And what you got when you got there was the original text with the video on top. It's more steps than I wanted to take to view other people's work, and I'm sure others probably felt the same way as well and just skipped over mine since it wasn't an embedded video. Plus, the videos became monotonous, since they were all pretty much made in the same way.

Last challenge I tried out was to use a photo of the Nordic Prime Ministers and have them summon something. I thought I'd have a bit of a laugh with this one, so I took a photo of the Nordic Prime Ministers all holding a ball and had cats pop up all over the photo. The app I used was Add a Cat . This app is very similar to an old app I had on my old iPhone, CatPaint


After week 1, I am still learning the ropes on Twitter and getting used to having my posts be completely public. So far, I've only really posted things related to this course, and will probably only use it for that for the next 7 weeks. In using my computer and smartphone more, I've definitely had head-scratching moments due to my lack of technological proficiency.




But I'm definitely giving it a shot. I'll undoubtedly make mistakes, but over the course of the next 7 weeks I hope to at least become more comfortable and proficient in using technology in this course, and in turn, in my own brick-and-mortar classroom. 

The theme for Week 1 was Context. This week set the stage for what the rest of the course would be like. And this technological dinosaur is excited to continue learning and growing. I'm using my time in the course to think of ways to integrate more technology into my classes and allow my students to use their creativity to tell their own digital stories. It may be tricky with high school chemistry, but I'm already getting ideas of how my students could use Hypothes.is to peer review each other's work or analyze a news article. Or how they can use Twitter to do something like a Daily Create on a weekly basis by finding chemistry all around them and posting about it once a week. Or have them do some sort of weekly reflection to stamp in their learning. It's only Week 1 and I've already gotten some good ideas. I'm excited to see how those ideas develop over the next 7 weeks. Plus, I really can't beat my summer classroom. 




2 comments:

  1. Ooo I don't know :) I said the same thing about Twitter when I used it for Social Media class 2 years ago...and now I'm a fairly avid user. There are great resources on Twitter and some very interesting people to follow. You might get hooked!

    Good to know about the Cut/Paste program. Thanks for sharing your tool of choice for that challenge! I really enjoyed reading your blog!
    -Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I enjoyed reading your blog post as well. It's good to get everyone's perspective on things, particularly what people found challenging and the media they chose to use. I hope to become better friends with Twitter 🐦 this summer.

      Delete

Week 8 of INTE5340: Learning With Digital Stories - Final Reflection

So, here we are. Week 8. The final week of INTE 5340. And what a fun ride this has been. Even in my final days in this course, I have bee...